After the Visit
» Is there anything special I need to do after the massage?
» What after effects may occur?
» What is a contra-action?
» What are some of the contra-actions I can expect to experience?
Is there anything special I need to do after the massage?
• Drink water to flush and replenish your system. Massage helps the muscles release lactic acid and other waste products that build up in chronically held tissue. Drinking water helps to cleanse these materials from the body.
• Have an epsom salt bath. Like drinking water, epsom salt baths help clear the body following a massage. Begin with adding 1/4 cup of epsom salts to your bath water. Gradually increase the amount with each bath until you are using 4 cups. Drink water during and/or after your bath. (Epsom salts are available at your local drugstore).
• Take time for yourself following the massage by doing something you enjoy. This will help you prolong the effects of the massage and let the massage settle into your body. Some suggestions: go for a walk in the woods or by the ocean, sit back and enjoy your garden, recharge with a short nap...
• If possible, avoid getting busy right away. Try not to go right back to work, out to a mall, or doing anything that leads to stress. Allow yourself an extended break from stress.
What after effects may occur?
Illnesses and diseases that have been suppressed with medication or held emotions may surface during treatment. A contra-action is a normal reaction to the treatment especially if the receiver has never had a treatment before or if the body is very stressed.
This healing crisis means a positive result of the treatment as massage assists with all body systems to function more efficiently, speeding up waste removal and the elimination of toxins as well as getting rid of negative deep-held emotions. With regular treatments and as a body starts to heal and rebalance, these after-effects will subdue.
What is a contra-action?
A contra-action is a reaction to a treatment or a product.
What are some of the contra-actions I can expect to experience?
Typical contra-actions may include:
• Tiredness due to release of toxins encouraged by the treatment and the initiation of healing energies, which require the body to rest
• Muscular ache and/or headaches as the nerve fibers respond to the deep work undertaken
• Heightened emotional state due to the positive release of deep-held feelings and emotions
• Frequent urination due to the stimulation of the lymphatic system
• Active bowels as all body systems, including the digestive system, will work better
• Spots may occur due to the release of toxins and hormones that may surface through the skin
Your possible contra-actions symptoms you experience are absolutely normal and will subside within 12-24 hours.