Medical Coverage and Payment
» Does OHIP cover Massage Therapy treatments?
» Do I need a doctor's referral?
» What reimbursement options are available?
» How do I find out if I have coverage?
» If my spouse has coverage, could I be covered under their plan?
» How do I pay for massage therapy treatments?
Does OHIP cover Massage Therapy treatments?
Massage therapy is not publicly funded by the provincial government in Ontario. Individual clients, either directly or through an insurance plan, pay for massage therapy services.
Do I need a doctor's referral?
Some insurance plans may require a physician's referral prior to the start of massage therapy treatments while others allow treatment without referrals. Most plans have a maximum amount available. Please consult your extended health benefit plan.
What reimbursement options are available?
The following is a summary of reimbursement options available:
• Employer Sponsored Extended Health Insurance Plans, which may be administered by private companies
• Consumer Purchased Extended Health Insurance Plans
• Veterans Affairs Canada, in the case of war veterans
• The Royal Canadian Mounted Police (for members of the RCMP)
• Transportation to a massage therapy office may also be reimbursed to persons who qualify under the Ontario Disability Support Programme.
You may wish to consult with Revenue Canada or your financial planner to determine if claims for massage therapy under "Medical Expenses" on your income tax return will be permitted.
How do I find out if I have coverage?
You can find out a few different ways. If you have an employee handbook, it may indicate whether or not you have coverage. You can also ask your employer. Another way is to phone the insurance company directly. Be sure to have your Group or ID numbers and access codes handy. Ask them:
• How much coverage do you have, if any?
• Is there any deductible? Is it per calendar year (ie: January-December)?
• Do they cover a certain amount per visit or up to a maximum per year?
• Do they cover a percentage up to a set amount or a maximum per year?
• Is the maximum combined with any other therapy (ie: physiotherapy)?
• Is a medical doctor's referral required?
You could also call our clinic. We may have treated someone who works at your company, and know how much coverage they have. You should confirm with your insurance company if the coverage applies to you individually or if your spouse or children also have coverage under your plan.
If my spouse has coverage, could I be covered under their plan?
If your spouse is covered and you are listed on their plan, then you generally have coverage. If you also have coverage through your own employer, you must use it up first before claiming on your spouse's plan.
How do I pay for massage therapy treatments?
When paying through an insurance plan, some Massage Therapists will bill directly while others will require payment from the client who then submits the claim to their insurance provider. Ask your Massage Therapist prior to initiating treatment.